Anders Exploits a Fading Machida
There used to be a time when getting a win over Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida meant a lot especially if it was a finish. The former UFC light heavyweight champion started his UFC career 15-0 including a knockout win over Rashad Evans to win the title. But since that win, Machida has only gone 7-8 with his last three fights ending with him getting finished.
Anders (-310) is the decided favourite here for a good reason. The up-and-comer is undefeated at 10-0 and is an athletic specimen who can grapple and hit hard. He is also faster, bigger, and stronger. If Machida (+225) is to pull off this upset, he'll have to dig deep and find a way to outsmart the former linebacker. This is the end of the line for Machida and he'll have to prove he isn't just a stepping stone for prospects like Anders.
Like the previous main event featuring Brazilian and American middleweights, oddsmakers strongly believe this fight ends in a finish (-400). Anders has finished seven of his ten wins with six of them coming via punches and over half of Machida's bouts (wins or losses) have come via finish.
Machida is 39-years-old and is coming back too soon from a vicious knockout loss to Derek Brunson. The Brazilian was coming back from a two-year layoff from his USADA suspension and he is winless since the drug-testing has started in 2015. But even before USADA, Machida's durability has never been good. He is also winless against southpaws and younger fighters in his most recent bouts: both of which Anders is.
Anders's only disadvantage here is his experience. He only has one notable win: a KO over Rafael Natal in his UFC debut. Anders's left hand is explosive and one shot could hurt anyone. Most importantly, he has enough explosiveness and wrestling to keep the fight standing.
While all signs point to an Anders KO, Machida still has the same skills and smarts as before. As a karate-based fighter, Machida is hard to hit and is an effective counter-striker. Despite not being a power puncher, Machida's precision is deadly and he can hurt Anders if he catches him at any point.
Prediction: With all that said, bank on Anders to knock Machida out within the first three rounds. As elusive as Machida is, all it takes is for Anders to touch his chin and he should go down. Anders will finish Machida via ground-and-pound and put a cap on the Brazilian's once-legendary UFC career.
Our Record: 7-1
Betting Stats & Tidbits:
- 75%: the expected outcome of Anders finishing Machida, the outcome with the highest percentage tied with Thiago Santos winning by finish (75%) versus Anthony Smith
- 0-4: Machida's record as an underdog; he has never won as an underdog in his entire UFC career
- 60.5%: the percentage of UFC middleweight bouts ending in a finish; of 636 fights, 234 (36.8%) ended by T/KO while 151 (23.7%) ended by submission
- 3/3: the over/under record for Machida and Anders's last three fights, combined; Machida's over/under is 1/2 while Anders is 2/1
UFC Fight Night Predictions
All betting odds via Sports Interaction.
Lock it Up! For Thiago Santos (-335) who will light up Anthony Smith (+240). Santos is the superior striker in terms of power, technique, and speed. Smith is incredibly durable but absorbs a lot of damage. While he's always dangerous especially late in the fight, Santos is just too fast and too good.
Our Record: 6-2
Who's A Good Dog? Although he is coming off a loss, Timothy Johnson (+130) can still outwrestle Marcelo Golm (-165). Johnson is the bigger fighter and the better wrestler. He can win this fight by neutralizing the Brazilian on the mat.
Our Record: 4-4
Just Say No: to Deiveson Figueiredo (-165) versus Joseph Morales (+130); these guys are scrappers and while Figueiredo should win this, his exciting style may lead a to a back-and-forth that could go either way. Pass and enjoy it as a fan.
Main Card (TSN 2, 10:00 PM ET)
- Middleweight (185 lbs): #13 Lyoto Machida (+225) vs Eryk Anders (-310)
- Bantamweight (135 lbs): #8 John Dodson (-185) vs #10 Pedro Munhoz (+145)
- Women's Flyweight (125 lbs): #1 Valentina Shevchenko (-1115) vs Priscila Cachoeira (+655)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): Michel Prazeres (-140) vs Desmond Green (+110)
- Heavyweight (265 lbs): #15 Timothy Johnson (+130) vs Marcelo Golm (-165)
- Middleweight (185 lbs): #15 Thiago Santos (-335) vs Anthony Smith (+240)
Prelims (Fight Network, 8:00 PM ET)
- Welterweight (170 lbs): Sergio Moraes (+165) vs Tim Means (-220)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): Alan Patrick (-280) vs Damir Hadzovic (+205)
- Bantamweight (135 lbs): Douglas Silva de Andrade (+120) vs Marlon Vera (-150)
- Bantamweight (135 lbs): Iuri Alcantara (+100) vs Joe Soto (-130)
Early Prelims (UFC Fight Pass, 7:00 PM ET)
- Flyweight (125 lbs): #14 Deiveson Figueiredo (-165) vs Joseph Morales (+130)
- Women's Strawweight (115 lbs): Maia Stevenson (+325) vs Polyana Viana (-475)
The only thing better than picking fights right is winning money along with it. Canadian UFC and MMA fans turn to these Canadian-friendly sportsbooks, to get all their wagering needs. Read our reviews and find the right sportsbook for you.
Category : UFC
UFC 240 odds are live from Edmonton, Alberta for the second straight year.
Honourary Canadian Max "Blessed" Holloway looks to make it three featherweight title defenses as he takes on former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar.
Bringing in the co-main event is former pound-for-pound queen, Cris "Cyborg" as she looks to rebound against the surging Canadian Felicia Spencer.
Plenty more Canadian content around as we preview the UFC 240 betting odds.
UFC 239 odds features a favourite-heavy card meaning it will turn out to be a fairly predictable evening or one filled with shockers. Light heavyweight king Jones leads the pack as the 1.17 favourite against Santos (5.00). Joining him is women's bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes (1.31) who will be another big favourite against former champion Holly Holm (3.50). We have the main card breakdown complete with UFC 239 betting odds.
Their first fight was an instant classic: former light heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones
returns to battle Alexander Gustafsson
for the vacant title. UFC 232 will be the promotion's last event of 2018 and what a way to end everything! This fight will be a pleasure to watch and one of the best MMA odds
to keep an eye on. We give break down the UFC odds
Mayweather invades Japan as the unbeaten boxing superstar surprised everyone with a fight against rising kickboxing star Tenshin Nasukawa. The fight is scheduled for New Year's Eve, December 31 in the Saitama Super Arena in what should be a massive event that will draw huge viewership numbers. The fight will be a boxing match as Mayweather gets his second consecutive MMA fighter. We break down this upcoming crossover fight.