UFC 215 Fight Card & Predictions
Johnson vs Borg UFC 215 Fight Card
History will be made in Edmonton as the UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson defends against submissions specialist Ray Borg. This is the UFC's first trip to Alberta's capital and their first trip back to the province in five years. Johnson is a massive favourite and Borg stands little chance to stop history, but greater upsets have happened and that's what makes the UFC a must-watch.
|Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg UFC 215|
It's a foregone conclusion that Johnson will run through Borg and capture the prominent record. The 5'3" Johnson is small even in his weight class but has thoroughly dominated since capturing the belt five years ago in Toronto. At this point, it seems like a better idea to bet how Johnson wins the fight or when. Sportsbooks offer prop bets for that.
But not to discount Borg, the Jackson-Winkeljohn fighter is one of the best grapplers in the UFC with half his wins coming via submission. He's training under MMA's best at game planning and one that has numerous experience fighting Johnson. If Borg has one area where he can match Johnson, it's the grappling particularly the scrambles, which Johnson has shown vulnerability in. Should the fight hit the mat, Borg will be active and will be dangerous from any position.
For Johnson, the strategy is clear: keep the fight standing. Johnson is the better wrestler and the better striker. He is faster, stronger, and more experienced. Borg's striking is coming along but it's miles away from Johnson's. To make Johnson respect him, Borg will have to fight a bit wilder and more unpredictable. He'll also need to move as Johnson will piece him up like swiss cheese should he stay flat-footed for long periods.
Borg will be a live dog should the two grapple but it won't get there. Johnson is far too good and smart to know not to play with fire. It's this wise decision-making that has helped him maintain an iron-fisted grip on the division. Come Saturday evening, it's business as usual for Johnson. Expect the "Mighty Mouse" to thoroughly dominate en route to a late stoppage or clear-cut decision.
Best UFC Picks - September 9, 2017
Pay-per-views are historically the most scrutinized fights by oddsmakers. But there is consistently an underdog winner. One way to find this is by checking the style matchups.
A key one pits Canadian grappler Mitch Clarke (+140) against striker Alex White (-180). Clarke is the hometown boy and is fighting for his job. Against White, he's taking on the taller but thinner fighter who has struggled against grapplers. Clarke has a path to victory and with betting odds trending against him, he could be a nifty underdog bet.
Betting fighters straight isn't the only way to bet. Online sportsbooks offer all kinds of bets like over/under round totals. The co-main event will pit two highly durable fighters in Amanda Nunes and Valentina Shevchenko. The winner is a toss-up but betting on the fight to last over 2.5 rounds at -150 is the bet to make. Betting UFC is challenging but a signup bonus of up to $200 makes it easier on the bank accounts.
Main Card (PPV, 10 PM ET)
- Flyweight Championship (125 lbs): Demetrious Johnson (c) (-1000) vs Ray Borg (+600)
- Women's Bantamweight Championship (135 lbs): Amanda Nunes (c) (-110) vs Valentina Shevchenko (-120)
- Welterweight (170 lbs): Rafael dos Anjos (-205) vs Neil Magny (+155)
- Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Ilir Latifi (-130) vs Tyson Pedro (+100)
- Featherweight: Jeremy Stephens (-110) vs Gilbert Melendez (-110)
Preliminary Card (TSN 5, 8 PM ET)
- Women's Bantamweight (135 lbs): Sara McMann (-300) vs Ketlen Vieira (+215)
- Flyweight (125 lbs): Henry Cejudo (-390) vs Wilson Reis (+275)
- Women's Bantamweight (135 lbs): Ashlee Evans-Smith (-260) vs Sarah Moras (+190)
- Featherweight (145 lbs): Gavin Tucker (-275) vs Rick Glenn (+200)
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 PM ET)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): Alex White (-185) vs Mitch Clarke (+145)
- Heavyweight (265 lbs): Arjan Bhullar (-185) vs Luis Henrique (+145)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): Adriano Martins (-435) vs Kajan Johnson (+300)
Category : UFCMore articles...