Real Madrid vs Barcelona LaLiga Odds, Predictions, Live Score
"El Clasico" - Is Barcelona Untouchable?
Real Madrid. Barcelona. It doesn't get much bigger than this. The two giants of Spanish and global club football will meet for the 270th time (236th in competitive fixtures) and as usual the stakes could not be much higher. Eleven points separate the two sides in La Liga, and while Real Madrid have a game in hand they simply cannot afford to lose any more ground on their biggest rivals.
This is a true six-pointer; a home victory means Real Madrid get within eight points (and potentially five if they win their extra match), while a win for the Catalan giants could destroy the title aspirations of their opponents. We saw Manchester City travel to Old Trafford and defeat Manchester United recently, more or less killing off their closest rivals, and the same could happen on Saturday night if Barcelona come to the party.
And there is a good chance Barcelona will. They have been almost untouchable so far this season - 13 wins and three draws, 42 goals and just seven against, zero losses. Lionel Messi has 14 goals in La Liga alone. Luis Suarez has nine. Paulinho has seamlessly slotted into the side and even he has bagged six goals, while Ter Stegen has kept ten clean sheets at the back. It has been impressive.
Barcelona have only lost two games all season, if you count the Supercopa de Espana. Real Madrid won both these matches convincingly and therefore come into this El Clasico as the previous winners. Prior to that, Barcelona travelled to the Bernabeu in the latter stages of 2016/17 and won in a thrilling 3-2 match that saw Lionel Messi score the winner in injury time.
So who is set to win the 270th El Clasico?
Juicy Odds Guaranteed Regardless of Your Pick
As expected, there is little to separate the two sides and the home team is the slight favourite heading into the final Clasico for 2017. This is a dream for the betting community, as you will get better than 2 to 1 odds regardless of what you choose to bet on.
- +186 is the best value you are likely to see for Barcelona, who have an outstanding defensive record and have not lost a game in all competitions since early August.
- +115 for Real Madrid is also a steal for the Galacticos at home considering their overall record at the venue. The fortress was breached earlier this season courtesy of a late Real Betis goal, and they are facing Barcelona, but it's tough to see them giving up another loss.
- The draw at +292 is very tempting, but this is not a fixture for fence-sitting. History also states that there have only been three draws in the last 20 El Clasico matches in La Liga.
It's going to be an incredible match, regardless of the result, although we're not in the business to be ambivalent. El Clasico means so much to both sides, regardless of where the sides sit on the table at the time, and it's normally won by the team that wants it more.
Real Madrid absolutely have to win this game, while Barcelona would be happy with a draw. Even the best coached sides will allow negativity to creep into their work when they know they don't need to win, and for this sole reason we are going to tip los blancos for the win.The Pick: Real Madrid (+115) Play Now
This is perhaps the best possible time for a Clasico. Both sides won't have another competitive fixture for two weeks following this match, and they won't have to worry about the second round of the Champions League for over a month. It is the perfect recipe for one of the most explosive matches between the two clubs in a long time, so how do you pick the winner?
As far as form is concerned, both teams enter the match having gained eleven points from their last five games. Real Madrid demolished Sevilla 5-0 on their last league outing, and have travelled to the Club World Cup in the two weeks since, taking the honours after wins against UAE side Al Jazira and Brazilian club Gremio. Cristiano Ronaldo led a mostly full-strength side, and although their last match was last Saturday, their trip to Abu Dhabi may have an impact on their fitness.
Barcelona also won their last league match convincingly; a 4-0 win against Deportivo de La Coruna in which Luis Suarez and Paulinho both scored doubles. Both sides of that scoreline tell you the story of Barcelona this campaign. Since Pep Guardiola left, Barcelona have only been the best defensive side in La Liga once out of five seasons; so far this season Barca are easily the best, and have the best away defensive record in Europe - just three goals conceded.
Both sides are aiming to complete an El Clasico feat that is quite rare - a Real Madrid win would see them record three consecutive derby wins in across all competitions for the first time since 1990, while Barcelona are attempting to win three consecutive La Liga Clasicos for the first time in their history.
Other Betting Markets To Watch
As always, there are plenty of markets available if you can't split the teams in the head to head stakes. Our favourites are as follows:
Player Markets - Goal Scorers:
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored in his last four matches, and is also one goal short of being Real Madrid's most successful goal scorers in El Clasico matches. He is the favourite at +299 to be the first goal scorer, while you can get him at -164 to hit the back of the net at any time.
- Lionel Messi has the wood on Ronaldo in derbies - he is the greatest scorer in the history of El Clasico games. He is only slightly behind the 2017 Ballon d'Or winner at +312, and -156 to score at any time.
- Ronaldo and strike partner Karim Benzema have not set the world on fire in La Liga this season though; Barcelona midfielder Paulinho has scored as many goals as the pair combines - six in the league. He may be a value bet, priced at +206 to score at any time.
Both Teams To Score:
- The split for this market is about as wide as we've ever seen it - -278 for yes and +192 for no. There's no real secret here - 14 out of the last 20 Barcelona vs Madrid games in La Liga have featured goals from both teams. -278 isn't great value, although it is the likely result.
With so many great betting options available through Sports Interaction, you are guaranteed to find a line that is perfect for you. Tune into the big match from 3pm ET, Saturday December 23rd.
Category : SoccerMore articles...
They outscored Pacific FC 3-2, avenging a 3-1 loss suffered in the spring season finale. But things didn't go as swimmingly for spring runners up Forge FC. They were toppled 2-1 by Edmonton FC.
The MLS action continues this weekend with all three Canadian teams involved in crucial fixtures. First up will be Toronto FC who is the all-Canadian clash between fierce rivals Toronto FC and Montreal Impact, immediately followed by the Vancouver Whitecaps hosting Sporting Kansas City.