2018 Australian Open Odds: Second Round Best Value Picks
Australian Open First Round Recap
We're just two days in and already there has been plenty of talking points from the Australian Open. Perhaps the biggest of all is the humble pie we must eat for having faith in experience over youth in some of our first round picks in the men's draw!
- The opening day saw sixteenth seed John Isner picked up just one set in a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 loss to Australian Matthew Ebden, a player ranked more than sixty places below him.
- Eleventh seed South African Kevin Anderson led two sets to one against young Englishman Kyle Edmund, yet once again it was the younger of the pair that prevailed. And to cap off a day of eliminated seeds, American Jack Sock came in as eighth, yet lost in four sets to Japan's Yuichi Sugita.
- Tuesday proved to be no less dramatic, and bad news if you're a Canadian fan. Milos Raonic looked on track as he took out the first set in his match against Lukas Lacko, although a stunning turnaround saw the Slovakian win in four sets, and the 86th ranked player in the world sent Canada's best prospect packing.
- Thankfully, Eugenie Bouchard defied her recent form slump to overcome French youngster Oceane Dodin in straight sets, while Denis Shapovalov also won comfortably, giving us a couple of players to cheer for in the second round. However, it wasn't a good time to be a fan of American female tennis players. Venus Williams (7), Coco Vandeweghe (10) and Sloane Stephens (13), were all eliminated, throwing the draw wide open.
- Top men's seeds Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Grigor Dimitrov all advanced in straight sets, while Simone Halep, Caroline Wozniacki and Garbine Muguruza all succeeded in ensuring at least the top three from each draw will appear in the second round.
The second round gets underway on Wednesday, January 17th, and there are several key matchups to look forward to. Below we take a look at the top fixtures, followed by our predictions and more betting tips to help you win big at the Australian Open.
Men's Tournament Second Round Singles Picks
With top seeds Nadal, Federer and Dimitrov expected to cruise through the opening rounds, there is little value in placing a bet on players who should have no difficulty reaching the second week. For this reason, the matches below feature odds that give you a genuine chance of making a profit. All odds available from Sports Interaction.Pablo Carreno-Busta (10) vs Gilles Simon Carreno (+102)
2017 semi-finalist Carreno-Busta is actually rated as an outsider against Frenchman Gilles Simon, although we think that the Spaniard is a good chance of progressing to the third round. Although it took him four sets to take care of local qualifier Jason Kubler, it's never easy playing against an Aussie at the Australian Open. We expect him to get the job done against Simon, especially with age on his side.John Millman vs Damir Dzumhur Millman (-156)
Millman joined a number of Australians through to the second round, and we are predicting that his journey will continue with a win over his Bosnian opponent. In a match between two players ranked outside the top 200, we are banking on home ground advantage to be a factor here.Denis Shapovalov vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga Tsonga (-199)
This will be one of the best matches of the second round. Shapovalov has had a good run recently, while Tsonga remains a good chance of the quarter-finals in every tournament he plays in. The Canadian will have his moments, and will bring confidence into the match after his straight-sets victory in the first round, however Tsonga is on another level compared to his previous opponent, and we can't see the Frenchman losing.Diego Sebastian Schwartzman vs Casper Ruud Ruud (+273)
This is an absolutely astonishing matchup given what happened to these guys in the first round. Both players won absolute epics, each going to five sets and each taking the final by eleven games to nine. They will be exhausted when this match gets underway, and it will come down to guts, determination and fitness rather than ability. With Schwatzman short at -400, we are picking the underdog to come out on top here.
Women's Tournament Second Round Singles Picks
As expected, the women's draw is wide open after a number of top sets bit the dust in the opening round. Eugenie Bouchard looked solid in her opening match, while the top seeds showed why they are the ones to beat at this year's event. Below are our picks for the second round:Shuai Zhang vs Denisa Allertova Zhang (-278)
We picked Zhang in her big match against 2017 US Open winner Sloane Stephens, and she didn't disappoint. She once again goes in as a clear favourite, but there are very few safe bets in the women's draw in the second round. Allertova did look impressive in her 6-3, 6-0 win over Pauline Parmentier, but we still think the Chinese star will have enough to win here.Eugenie Bouchard vs Simona Halep Halep (-303)*
Unfortunately, Bouchard's first round win has her up against top seed Simona Halep in the second round, and there's almost no chance of her winning this one. Head to head, Halep is priced at -1111, yet she is paying -303 for the straight-sets victory. While we'd like to think Eugenie can snag a set, the reality is that the 2-0 is the smart bet.Maria Sharapova vs Anastasija Sevastova Sevastova (+182)
Despite Sharapova being the better player on her day, we are not convinced by her second coming as a tennis player. Her admission for taking banned supplements has won her no favours on the circuit, and the Australian crowd will back her opponent whoever she plays. Let's not take anything away from Sevastova, she is a solid performer who we're expecting to lift against the Russian and take the upset victory.
Australian Open 2018 Second Round Betting Tips
Don't forget that you can also pick the number of sets required for victory in all Australian Open matches (as seen above in our pick for the Halep/Bouchard match. While one of the top players may not be worthwhile betting on because of their overwhelming superiority and low return potential, taking on the number of sets may be a useful pick.
There are more options available in the mens draw as they play five sets, although it's not uncommon for women's matches to go to three sets even when the top seeds are involved. You could also try your luck by checking out the over/under market. This is much more difficult to predict, and as such the reward is much greater.
Your options may include betting on the total number of games in a set or total number of games in a match, which again is easier if you are watching the match and betting live.
There will always be the option of betting on the exact score of a set. This is actually not as difficult as it sounds as there are only a handful of different possibilities, so why not have a punt on this in the next match you put your money on. Betting on the Australian Open is easier than ever, and with so many companies vying for your betting cash there are always a number of exciting deals on the table.
Make sure you explore our sportsbook partners and check out all of the different options available.
Category : More newsMore articles...