StatsGuru | Mon 11/06/2018 - 19:36 EDT

CFL Public Betting: Unveiling Our Picks Against the CFL's Media Poll

CFL Public Betting: Unveiling Our Picks Against the CFL's Media Poll

Media Poll 2018 Canadian Football League Picks

Excited to dive into another action packed CFL slate, of bigger balls and wider fields, we look to build on our success from the 2017 season. Our season-long forecasts were solid last year as we finished with a 60-24-1 money record and a 46-38-2 mark against the spread. Basically speaking, we are not fans of the Canadian Football League only until the NFL begins on September 6, 2018. We follow football in the Great White North closely all year long. In order to bring our readers the best CFL betting advice - we dig deep from Week 1 through to the Grey Cup Sunday celebration.

Research is the most important tool in a handicapper's toolbox. The coverage doesn't compare to the behemoth south of the border - there are a few CFL related information hubs to gain insights. One of those sites is the CFL website itself. While we don't always agree with their opinions - we regularly gather important game keys from articles and the box scores. New this year, the inaugural CFL Media Poll article caught our attention. While we wish they would have named each of them, there were 74 participants and they filled out their ballots from May 14 until May 21, 2018.

Comprehensive, the survey ran the gauntlet from the Grey Cup winner to a vote on the best current Head Coach. In a nutshell, Calgary and Toronto will retain the West and East titles, Edmonton will capture the Grey Cup at Commonwealth Stadium and Eskimos QB Mike Reilly will win consecutive Most Outstanding Player Awards. Right out of the gate we are not on the same page as we are taking a wait and see approach with the Stampeders and Eskimos. Our first futures bets have Saskatchewan winning the West and the Grey Cup plus Toronto repeating as East winners.

CFL Media Poll Results

West and East Division 2018 Winners

As figured, the West Division is tightly bunched in the poll as Calgary (32%) Edmonton (30%) and Saskatchewan (29%) are percentage points apart. The Stamps haven't rebuilt for years - they just reload. Tasked with replacing the likes of Jerome Messam, Marquay McDaniel, Deron May and Rob Cote, a Youth Movement is underway in the Stampede City. Edmonton deserves respect as Reilly is very deserving of his 2017 MOP nod. The 'Riders have brought in Messam and Charleston Hughes from Calgary plus QB Zach Collaros gets a new house on the Prairies - on a good football club. 

Massive describes the East gap. After finishing with a 9-9-0 record, and then winning the Grey Cup last season, Toronto tops the poll list with 75% of the votes. We selected Toronto with (+200) money line odds at SportsInteraction back on 26/05/18. A big part of our faith in the Argos stems from HC Marc Trestman who is smart, calm, collected and all business. Hamilton (18%) is next as the Johnny Manziel saga plays out in Steel City. Please don't expect much Manziel mania here anytime soon. Ottawa (7%) isn't being respected and the much-maligned Alouettes received 0% of the vote. 

Which Team Will Win 106th Grey Cup

Similar to last year at this time, 14/06/17, the West leads the way in preseason Grey Cup voting and on futures betting boards at CFL focused online sportsbooks. Calgary (+350) BC (+500) and Edmonton (+550) was the order prior to Week 1 in 2017. The Stampeders (+280) Eskimos (+500) and Tiger-Cats (+650) open the race to Grey Cup 106 as top chalk at Bodog. Winnipeg (+650) has some QB troubles but sit fourth overall while Toronto and the 'Riders are tied with a (+700) CFL Championship price. Ottawa (+950) is seventh, BC (+1200) and Montreal (+1400) bring up the rear.

From a poll perspective, StatsGuru shares the opinion of John Diefenbaker who told reporters, "I've always been fond of dogs, and they are the one animal that knows the proper treatment to give to poles". Was true in 1957 and holds firm today. That said, the CFL Writers have this close again - with West squads. Edmonton (23%) Calgary (22%) and Saskatchewan (22%) gobble up 67% of the vote. Toronto (15%) to repeat and Winnipeg (12%) leaves the BC Lions, Hamilton and Montreal with four votes (5%) amongst them. Cats and Als Homers should have abstained. Green Riders stalking the pack early on is OK but they need to stay close during their first eight contests.

CFL Poll Results Play Out Early and Often

Like high school and college, the jocks get all the love, and that's the case with the MOP voting. Reilly (35%) Stamps QB Bo Levi Mitchell (19%) Argos RB James Wilder (19%) and 'Riders new pivot Zach Collaros (5%) all have challenging slates right of the gate. We have mixed emotions about Bo doing a radio show every week but Calgary will fire away on offense. The show is great, on the Fan960, but it has to be distracting as it is a LIVE show - with some recorded parts. Wilder is out to prove he can run wild over the CFL after he put up 1405 total yards in just 13 games last year. If Saskatchewan is who we think they are, Collaros will have a solid season in Green & White. 

Further to that, if the former Tiger-Cat lands on his feet, Collaros would live up to his "Comeback Player of the Year " talk as he has garnered 48% of the votes. Stud LB J. C. Sherritt (18%) returning at full strength and skill, from a ruptured Achilles tendon, would help the Eskimos. QB Jonathon Jennings (15%) rebounding from personal poor play would help BC and WR Adarius Bowman (14%) hopes to find a new flight path with the Bombers. It is tough to miss the playoffs in the CFL as three teams are sent packing early. Hamilton (70%) is a huge favorite to get the most wins by a 2017 playoff shutout team, the Leos (26%) is generous while the Alouettes (4%) is a little high.

Canada Serving CFL Online Betting Sites

Within our look at the CFL Media poll, we mentioned some top rated CFL betting sites. Our menu is stacked with the best bookmakers in the business. The cream of the crop have had prices for the 106th Grey Cup posted since Toronto beat Calgary during CF-105 on 26/11/17. Commonwealth Stadium, in Alberta's Capital, hosts GC-106 on November 25, 2018. Prior to that, stick with us at Canada Sports Betting as we will review the East and West Division races and the Eskimos Cup chances on their home turf. Plus offer CFL handicapping strategies and tips all season.

Gone in a flash, the Stanley Cup and Larry O'Brien Trophy were snatched up fast. Washington is home to Stanley after the Capitals 4-1 win vs the Vegas Golden Knights while Larry is staying Oakland after Golden State swept Cleveland. That clears concentration room for MLB and MLS betting research as both leagues are sailing along with great races. CSB NFL and NCAA football futures pages will get fined tuned weekly moving forward. World Cup Soccer, Entertainment and Political betting is also available at these sportsbooks that welcome Canadian 'Cappers every day.

Category : CFL Picks & News

More articles...
CFL Picks & News - 12/12/18
Odds to win the 2019 CFL Grey Cup 
It was the Calgary Stampeders' time to silence the doubters. Despite ghosts of Grey Cup's past, the Stamps delivered on the promise as a favourite to win the 2018 Grey Cup. This was their second chip under the Bo Levi Mitchell era and a dynasty they are becoming. But again, history isn't on Calgary's side for a repeat hence why 2018 Grey Cup Odds are almost even. We take a look.
CFL Picks & News - 12/11/18
2018 CFL Division Finals Odds 
The road to the 2018 CFL Grey Cup continues on Sunday, November 18th with the eastern and western division finals. After a big win over the Lions, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats travel to meet the division-leading Redblacks in Ottawa. Out west, the CFL-best Calgary Stampeders host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who overcame a 53-year curse to finally win a playoff game in Regina. Sports betting sites show the Stampeders as favorites, but the Blue Bombers resilience make them an attractive underdog to win the west.
CFL Picks & News - 05/11/18
2018 CFL Playoffs 
It was a photo finish to wrap the 2018 CFL season, but we finally have our final six teams. Calgary and Ottawa lead the pack as the conference winners as they head into the playoffs with an automatic bid in the conference finals. Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, two powerhouse western teams will clash in the Western semis while a cross-conference match pits BC against Hamilton in the East. We break it down.
CFL Picks & News - 04/10/18
CFL 2018 Week 17 
While I feel the number in Montreal is too high for a home underdog there are other profitable options for online sports bettors in Week 17 CFL action.