UFC 226 Odds: Miocic and Cormier Fighting for the "Greatest Fighter" Title
The Biggest Fight For Both Miocic and Cormier
Neither Miocic nor Cormier are big on trash-talking but they are big on putting on topnotch bouts and fans should expect nothing less in this champion versus champion tilt. Both men aren't just fighting for the belt but for the possibility of becoming the sport's greatest of all time. This is the biggest fight for both.
Miocic is currently the sizable favourite at -235 while the comeback on Cormier is at +175.
|Miocic (C)||VS||Cormier (C-LHW)|
Miocic already broke the record for most title defences at heavyweight and needs this marquee win to establish himself as the undisputed greatest heavyweight. Ever. He's the favourite for a solid reason: he's the bigger and longer fighter and is younger. And he has the style to beat Cormier.
The light heavyweight champion is the smaller fighter but is undefeated at heavyweight (13-0) with wins over former champions Josh Barnett and Frank Mir. He is arguably the greatest wrestler in the division's history. What he lacks in size, he makes up for with a combination of speed, durability, and hard work.
Miocic has a 75 per cent takedown defence but hasn't gone up against a wrestler with Cormier's pedigree. Likewise, Cormier hasn't fought a wrestle-boxer of Miocic's caliber at heavyweight. And the last time Cormier fought a fighter of the same size and length, he lost (Jon Jones).
While Cormier shouldn't be counted out, the odds favour Miocic and the defending champion should get the job done.
Miocic vs Cormier Betting Trends & Tidbits
Money quickly came in on Miocic when lines opened and it tightened for the last few weeks but has once again swung towards his favour in a big way. Bets have come in for Cormier recently and those backing him could still wait as Miocic remains the decided favourite.
- Miocic opened at -170 and his line has been bet down by 12.7% since
- Cormier opened at +140 and his line has been bet up by 18.9% since
- Main event UFC fighters who opened as favourites are 11-6 in 2018
- Miocic is 5-0 in his last five fights as a favourite
- Cormier is 2-2 in his last four fights as an underdog
Cormier should take the fight to Miocic. As the smaller fighter, he has to cut the cage and get into dirty boxing range. Miocic will use the jab and footwork to work around Cormier. Their wrestling could cancel each other out and the fight will stay standing for most of the fight.
Alternatively, Cormier can tie up Miocic and try to grind him out or take him down Greco-Roman style. He is the better wrestler and he should manage to land takedowns. But keeping Miocic down is another story. Although if he repeatedly takes Miocic down, he could drain his energy.
Prediction: Cormier is wily and has many ways to win this fight but he'll be hard-pressed to finish Miocic or hurt him enough to win a sure decision. Miocic will use his length to neutralize Cormier and earn a judges' decision.
Our Record: 15-8
UFC 226: Miocic vs Cormier Fight Card Predictions
All betting odds via Sports Interaction.
Lock it Up: For Gokhan Saki (-165) versus Khalil Rountree Jr. (+130). If Rountree Jr. fights smart, he'll exploit Saki's lack of grappling experience. But he won't. Saki will keep the fight standing and use his world-class Muay Thai to tear apart Rountree Jr. whether it's from range or in the clinch. Saki wins handily.
Our Record: 17-6
Underdog Pick: provided he makes weight with no issues, Uriah Hall (+350) could pull off the card's biggest upset. The hype around Paulo Costa (-510) is out-of-hand. Hall is still the better and more experienced striker and is versed enough in other aspects of MMA to keep Costa from exploiting him.
Our Record: 9-11
Don't Bet on It: Francis Ngannou (-350) versus Derrick Lewis (+250) will be a slobber knocker with a high chance of a finish. Ngannou should make short work of Lewis but laying that much on him is dangerous given how heavy Lewis hits as well. The bet to make here is for the fight to not go to decision (-365).
Main Card (PPV, 10:00 PM ET)
- Heavyweight Title Fight (265 lbs): (C) Stipe Miocic (-235) vs (C-LHW) Daniel Cormier (+175)
- Heavyweight (265 lbs): #1 Francis Ngannou (-350) vs #5 Derrick Lewis (+250)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): #9 Michael Chiesa (-170) vs #12 Anthony Pettis (+135)
- Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Gokhan Saki (-165) vs Khalil Rountree Jr. (+130)
Prelims (TSN 2, 8:00 PM ET)
- Middleweight (185 lbs): #9 Uriah Hall (+350) vs #10 Paulo Costa (-510)
- Welterweight (170 lbs): #14 Paul Felder (-155) vs Mike Perry (+125)
- Bantamweight (135 lbs): #3 Raphael Assuncao (-185) vs #11 Rob Font (+145)
- Welterweight (170 lbs): Curtis Millender (-180) vs Max Griffin (+140)
Early Prelims (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 PM ET)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): Dan Hooker (-135) vs Gilbert Smith (+105)
- Lightweight (155 lbs): Lando Vannata (-210) vs Drakkar Klose (+160)
- Women's Strawweight (115 lbs): Jamie Moyle (-255) vs Emily Whitmire (+185)
Best Online Sportsbooks for UFC/MMA
Canadian fight fans are in for a treat this weekend. It's International Fight Week and The Ultimate Fighter Finale happens just before UFC 226. Both events will be covered by TSN and by these online sportsbooks. These books offer the best betting lines for Canadians.
Read the reviews before committing.
Category : Picks and ParlaysMore articles...