When making your 2022 Kentucky Derby picks, there are three major things to keep in mind: the form of the horses, how their connections (trainers and jockeys) have done in the Derby, and the sportsbook where you plan to make your bet. After all, picking a winner is good, but betting them at a place with the best odds and bonuses is even better!
Canadian sportsbooks are offering great bonuses for Kentucky Derby players, so make sure to sign up before the race on Saturday!
2022 Kentucky Derby Horses and Odds
- Mo Donegal (Todd Pletcher/Irad Ortiz, Jr.) – 10-1
- Happy Jack (Doug O’Neill/Rafael Bejarano) – 30-1
- Epicenter (Steve Asmussen/Joel Rosario) – 7-2
- Summer Is Tomorrow (Bhupat Seemar/Mickael Barzalona) – 30-1
- Smile Happy (Ken McPeek/Corey Lanerie) – 20-1
- Messier (John Velazquez/Tim Yakteen) – 8-1
- Crown Pride (Koichi Shintani/Christophe Lemaire) – 20-1
- Charge It (Todd Pletcher/Luis Saez) – 20-1
- Tiz the Bomb (Ken McPeek/Brian Hernandez, Jr.) – 30-1
- Zandon (Chad Brown/Flavien Prat) – 3-1
- Pioneer of Medina (Todd Plecher/Joe Bravo) – 30-1
- Taiba (Tim Yakteen/Mike Smith) – 12-1
- Simplification (Antonio Sano/Jose Ortiz) – 20-1
- Barber Road (John Ortiz/Reylu Gutierrez) – 30-1
- White Abarrio (Saffie Joseph, Jr./Tyler Gaffalione) – 10-1
- Cyberknife (Brad Cox/Florent Geroux) – 20-1
- Classic Causeway (Brian Lynch/Julien Leparoux) – 30-1
- Tawny Port (Brad Cox/Ricardo Santana, Jr.) – 30-1
- Zozos (Brad Cox/Manuel Franco) – 20-1
- Ethereal Road (D. Wayne Lukas/Luis Contreras) – 30-1
- Rich Strike (Eric Reed/Sonny Leon) – 30-1 – ALSO ELIGIBLE
- Rattle N Roll (Ken McPeek/James Graham) – 30-1 – ALSO ELIGIBLE
Rich Strike and Rattle N Roll are on the also-eligible list, meaning they only draw in if there is a scratch from the main field before 9:00 a.m. EDT on Friday, when racetrack betting opens. Should a horse scratch after that point but before the Derby itself, the also-eligibles would remain on the outside looking in.
These are the Kentucky Derby odds at the best Canadian sportsbooks. Keep an eye on them, and be ready to bet when you are getting an overlay on the horse you like in the big race!
Free Kentucky Derby Handicapping
The best bet in the 2022 Kentucky Derby is Cyberknife. The Arkansas Derby winner is blooming slightly later than some of his foes, but he put it all together when winning the Arkansas Derby. His pedigree shines for the step up to the Classic distance, his tactical speed running style often wins the roses, and his trainer and jockey (Brad Cox and Florent Geroux) have teamed up to win many of the biggest races in recent years.
Kentucky Derby Market Leaders
It is worth looking at the market leaders since they do usually run well in the race. Epicenter, the Louisiana Derby (G2) winner, ran well in all four points preps at Fair Grounds, and proved in his final prep that he has real tactical speed. He has held his form as the distances have gotten longer, and his experience and consistency make him a logical favorite, as he is in most Vegas books.
Zandon, the morning line favorite, is an improving horse who comes into the race off of a strong victory in the Blue Grass (G1). Though he closed from last that day, his earlier races suggest he may be able to sit closer to the pace. However, between his more recent closing style and the futile recent record of recent Blue Grass editions, make sure to demand enough value.
Taiba, with only two starts, has less experience than anyone else in the field. But, both of his races have been extremely fast. He won the Santa Anita Derby (G1), which has been one of the most important prep races over the last decade. And, his stalking style typically translates well to Kentucky Derby glory.
Kentucky Derby Longshots
Japanese horses have shined at all the major race meets over the last year. And, Crown Pride could continue that trend into the Kentucky Derby. He looked full of run when winning the 1 3/16-mile UAE Derby (G2), and his pedigree suggests he will stretch to the Classic distance and beyond. Likely to be dismissed by many bettors who aren’t aware of recent Japanese success, he is an interesting longshot.
Barber Road is one of the most consistent horses in this year’s race. Though he has yet to win a stakes, he has hit the board in five of them, including all four Oaklawn points races. As the races got longer and the competition tougher, he kept showing up and kept getting checks. He can run a good race with many different trips, too, and that versatility can help him get a share of the Derby.
Kentucky Derby Expert Picks
- $20 Win: #16 Cyberknife
- $5 Win/Place/Show: #7 Crown Pride
- $1 Exacta Key: #16 Cyberknife with #3 Epicenter, #7 Crown Pride, #10 Zandon
- $1 Trifecta Key: #16 Cyberknife with #3 Epicenter, #7 Crown Pride, #10 Zandon, #12 Taiba
- $1 Superfecta Key: #16 Cyberknife with #3 Epicenter, #7 Crown Pride, #10 Zandon, #12 Taiba, #14 Barber Road
Kentucky Derby Undercard Picks
The Kentucky Derby undercard features some excellent betting opportunities. Read on for selections focused on horses to use in the rich guaranteed all-stakes Kentucky Derby Pick 6 and other multi-race wagers through the day:
- $500,000 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile (G2): #8 Speak of the Devil
- $160,000 Knicks Go Overnight Stakes: #8 Injunction, #11 Necker Island
- $500,000 Pat Day Mile (G2): #1 Major General, #5 Jack Christopher
- $500,000 Derby City Distaff (G1): #5 Obligatory, #6 Bell’s the One
- $500,000 American Turf (G2): #2 Main Event, #7 Sy Dog, #11 Dowagiac Chief
- $500,000 Churchill Downs Stakes (G1): #1 Aloha West, #3 Jackie’s Warrior
- $1 million Turf Classic (G1): #7 Cavalry Charge, #8 Adhamo