The Viral Roundup – Deadline Day Hangover Edition
Good morning! Welcome to the March 3 edition of The Viral Roundup, a daily refresher on the sports world you’re walking up into. All the big scores, big stories and big distractions from your favourite leagues have been assembled IKEA style into an efficient lil’ piece that won’t take up too much room in your living quarters. Enough introductory blab, let’s get to it.
Did You Hear?
The National Hockey League’s annual orgy of mega-hype and minor transactions (a.k.a. trade deadline day) offered up a bit of action, but not much in the way of sexiness. The bulk of this year’s sexy wheelings and dealings (Evander Kane to Buffalo, Antoine Vermette to Chicago, whatever David Clarkson’s become to #Lumbus) were already taken care of before Monday’s big trade close out. Yesterday’s big deals featured the Oilers moving stay-at-home defenceman Jeff Petry to Montreal, St. Louis improving their blue line with the acquisition of concussed Czech Zbynek Michalek from Arizona and the Islanders snapping up Sabres goalie Michal Neuvirth.
Did You See?
The biggest star coming out deadline day? 11-year-old Jordyn Leopold. The tween daughter of (who else?)defenceman Jordan Leopold wrote a letter to the Minnesota Wild asking that they re-acquire her dad. Jordyn and her family have been living in Minnesota while her pops has been posted in Columbus and she was hoping to bring her father home. On deadline day, Jordan was dealt to the Wild and Jordyn’s letter appeared (and promptly blew up) online. If you haven’t checked it out, give the letter a read. You can probably expect Jordyn to receive a GM offer or two this offseason.
Did You Know?
- The Toronto Raptors made the most of the free space on their bingo card last night. The Raps snapped a five game losing streak thanks to a 114-103 victory over the Washington Generals Philadelphia 76ers. Kyle Lowry was out of the lineup for the second game in a row.
- A Jarrett Jack jumper with one second remaining gave the Nets a home victory over the mighty Golden State Warriors. The Western Conference giant was favoured by six heading into Brooklyn before taking the L. Stephen Curry & Co. will finally play a game at home on Wednesday following a lengthy road trip that kept them away from Oakland for a 10 out of 11 game stretch.
- Let the record show that kicking King James in the royal jewels will score you at least a one game suspension. (Legal Note: Different workplaces have different rules for this.) Rockets superstar James Harden will be sitting out tonight’s showdown in Atlanta as punishment for Sunday’s foot-to-groin violence in Houston’s OT victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- #17 Iowa State managed to storm their way back from a 21 point deficit last night to emerge victorious over #15 Oklahoma. The comeback sprung into action not long after Sooners guard Isaiah Cousins earned a technical foul for hurling verbal abuse at Iowa State’s bench. Let this be a reminder that no lead is safe going into March Madness.
- Newly acquired forward Ben Smith popped up on the score sheet as San Jose blanked the Eastern Conference topping Montreal Canadiens. The 4-0 victory (you’ve earned a Coke, Alex Stalock) busts the Sharks out of an ugly eight game home losing streak and breaks Montreal’s four game win streak. The Habs have three more games out west (Anaheim, L.A., Arizona) before they return to Quebec.
- Anyone in the market for a not-so-slightly used Pro Bowl wide receiver? According to reports, Andre Johnson has been given permission by the Houston Texans to seek a trade following word that the veteran WR will have a reduced role with the team in 2015.
Category : ArchivesMore articles...