The Viral Roundup – The Price Is Right Edition
Did You Hear?
David Price will be playing in the American League East next season, but it won’t be for the Toronto Blue Jays. The Boston Globe reports that it’s the Red Sox that have successfully won David Price’s services thanks to a seven year deal worth a whopping $217 million. Price has bopped around the AL as a dominant regular season pitcher for Tampa Bay, Detroit and Toronto with an 18-5 record in last year’s campaign. Boston are currently pegged as a 14/1 World Series shot for 2016.
Did You See?
Browns fans are gonna Browns fan. A slice of video capturing the agony of Cleveland football fandom has been making the rounds online as it shows the fallout of the team’s soulcrushing 33-27 defeat at the hands of Baltimore. (Warning: There’s a smidge of NSFW language in this clip.) Relive the misery of the blocked field goal TD finish all over again from the stadium perspective. By the way, Cleveland are considered a seven point home underdog this week against state rival Cincinnati. The team just learned that Josh McCown will be out for the remainder of 2015 with a collarbone injury and that makes their messy QB situation all the more compliacted.
Did You Know?
- The Philadelphia 76ers have done the impossible. They won a regular season game. The Sixers were a -130 home favourite in their showdown with the Lakers and emerged with a 103-91 victory. Robert Convington scored 23 points in the win which boosts Philly’s record to 1-18. Meanwhile, the Lakers drop to a very unpleasant 2-15.
- The red lights at Joe Louis Arena got a healthy workout on Tuesday night. The Red Wings and Sabres had a 5-4 barnburner that was decided in a shootout. Justin Abdelkader scored twice for Detroit while Evander Kane also potted two in a losing cause.
- Stop us if you’ve heard this before… The status of Ben Roethlisberger for this Sunday is up in the air as confusion surrounds the status of the Steelers quarterback heading into Week 13. Big Ben claimed on Tuesday that he passed the necessary concussion protocol required after suffering a serious hit in last week’s loss to Seattle. Roethlisberger chalked his head pain up to a migraine, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says his starting pivot is still undergoing the protocol. At the moment, Pittsburgh is a seven point home favourite for their Sunday night tilt against the 6-5 Indianapolis Colts.
- The newly released College Football Playoff rankings offer little in the way of major moves, but it does give Saturday’s Big Ten Championship tilt between Iowa and Michigan State some extra drama. The two teams are ranked fourth and fifth respectively and that positions the contest as a (likely) de facto elimination game. (The Spartans are favoured by three-and-a-half.) Clemson still sits in the #1 spot in the rankings, followed by #2 Alabama and #3 Oklahoma. Defending champs Ohio State has risen to #6 after their thumping of Michigan.
- ESPN is reporting that Barry Bonds and the Miami Marlins are in talks to bring the controversial slugger on as a member of the club’s coaching staff. Bonds, who has worked as a “special instructor” for San Francisco during spring training, would be one of two hitting coaches employed by the Marlins as Frank Menechino is expected to return for the 2016 campaign. The Marlins are considered a big longshot to nab a World Series title next fall. The futures board has Miami as a 66/1 wager to end the postseason as champions.
Category : ArchivesMore articles...