The Viral Roundup – Perfect Panthers Edition
Did You Hear?
A 4th quarter Colts comeback pulled Indy into overtime on Monday Night Football but couldn’t stop Carolina from going 7-0. Graham Gano kicked two OT field goals in a 29-26 Panthers win and Cam Newton exited with 248 yards racked up over the 5 quarter affair. Andrew Luck had another mixed outing for the Colts bringing the team into OT but with three picks to his name. If you’ll check the standings, you’ll see that Carolina is the only undefeated team remaining in the NFC.
Did You See?
Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort are set to write chapter three in their MMA rivalry this weekend and the UFC has tossed their incredible PRIDE 32 tilt on YouTube for the world to see. Belfort is considered a strong -350 favourite in his UFC Fight Night clash with Henderson which will go down on Saturday night in Sao Paulo. Also on the card: Glover Teixeira and Patrick Cummins in a light heavyweight fight and a bantamweight matchup between Thomas Almeida and Anthony Birchak.
Did You Know?
- King James is now the youngest player in NBA history to score 25,000 points in their career. LeBron reached the milestone with an alley-oop in a 107-100 Cavs defeat of the Philadelphia 76ers. (The Cavs were favoured by 13 going in.) LBJ scored 22 points and provided 11 assists in the win while Jahil Okafor put 24 points on the board in a losing cause.
- Two Western Conference titans squared off on the ice on Monday. Chicago, a -120 moneyline home favourite, topped Los Angeles 4-2 at the United Center. Patrick Kane notched a goal and an assist in the win with Corey Crawford stopping 33 shots. These two clubs battle two more times in the regular season with the next matchup happening at the end of the month.
- Vernon Davis is headed for the Rocky Mountains. The longtime 49ers tight end has been dealt to the Broncos after 10 seasons of work with the clubs moving future sixth and seventh rounders around. Davis, who snared 55 career touchdowns with San Francisco, will be recieving passes from Peyton Manning and the 7-0 Broncos from here on out. Denver are currently listed as a four point road favourite going into Sunday’s Week 9 clash with Indianapolis.
- ESPN reports that Yoenis Cespedes doesn’t appear likely to return to the Mets in 2016. The ex-Tiger is expected to be “modestly pursued” by New York’s National League club with the knowledge that the outfielder wants six years or more on his next deal. Cespedes hit 35 homers, 105 ribbies and was batting .291 in the regular season, although his average dipped 69 points in the postseason. If he ends up on the market, he’ll definitely have free agent interest.
- For a record ninth time, North Carolina is listed at #1 in the Associated Press preseason Top 25. The Tar Heels can boast four starters sticking around for the new season and oddsmakers list UNC as a 10/1 shot to win the national title. Duke and Kentucky are listed with tighter odds on the Futures boards (at 7/1 and 8/1) but are lower than North Carolina in the preseason poll. Kentucky’s in the #2 spot and Duke rounds out the Top 5.
Category : ArchivesMore articles...