The Viral Roundup – Mashin’ Mets Edition
Greetings! Welcome to a brand new go-around of The Viral Roundup. We’re your daily one-stop shop for all the big news, big buzz and big developments headlining a new day in the world of sports. In today’s edition: David Wright returns in style, the Pats nab a former Colts superstar and Houston selects Hoyer to guide their offense.
Did You Hear?
The NL East topping New York Mets absolutely teed off on a helpless Philadelphia Phillies squad to the tune of 16-7. David Wright hit a home run in his first at bat back since April and he wasn’t the only one going yard. Homers also came courtesy of Michael Cuddyer, Dale Murphy, Travis d’Arnaud, Juan Lagares, Yoenis Cespedes and Wilmer Flores (twice!) to combine for a club record eight Mets round-trippers. Philadelphia had a 7-2 lead going into the 4th before New York amped up the power. Three games still remain in the series.
Did You See?
Have caught this year’s insane Madden ’16 trailer? The preview is presented as an over-the-top summer blockbuster complete with starring roles for Dave Franco and Christopher Mintz-Plasse. It’s flashy, fun and full of NFL cameos to tide you over as you wait in line today for your copy.
Did You Know?
- It took until the bottom of the 9th, but the Cubs managed to pull out a 2-1 matinee win over the Cleveland Indians. Jon Lester and Corey Kluber both put in strong starting performances for their respective clubs, but it was a Kris Bryant walk-off homer that provided Chicago with their fifth straight victory. (It was the rookie’s 20th jack of the season.) The Cubs start a new set in San Francisco tonight, while Cleveland hosts the Milwaukee Brewers.
- The New York Yankees (a -132 moneyline home favourite) squeezed out a 1-0 victory yesterday against the AL West leading Houston Astros. A bases loaded sacrifice fly from Carlos Beltran in the 9th gave the Yanks the walkoff win and they’ve moved back into a tie for top spot in the AL East with the Blue Jays.
- The rumblings about Reggie Wayne’s new NFL home have morphed into reality. The longtime Colts wideout has signed a one year deal to play the arch-rival New England Patriots. Wayne had an injury impaired season in 2014, but he does reign as the wide reciever with the most receptions and recieving yards since 2001. By the way, the Colts and Patriots go head-to-head in Week 6′s Sunday night game.
- Green Bay have confirmed that they’ll be without Pro Bowl wide reciever for the season. The star wideout suffered an ACL tear in a preseason tilt versus Pittsburgh. When Nelson went down with the injury on Sunday, the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook changed Green Bay’s Super Bowl odds from 9-2 to 6-1.
- The Houston Texans (currently pegged at 17/4 odds to win the AFC South) will go with Brian Hoyer as their starting quarterback. Hoyer spent last season in Cleveland where he threw 12 TDs and 13 picks in 14 games. The Michigan State alum beat out Ryan Mallett for the position.
Category : ArchivesMore articles...